Friday, September 11, 2009

Liar, Liar, House on Fire...

The uproar over Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst during President Obama's health care speech to Congress continues. And it should.

Wilson's behavior was disrespectful and unbecoming. Nonetheless, it is indicative of the ways that our Commander-in-Chief is maligned and put-down by some Republicans, right-wing organizations, and conservatives in media.

Wilson probably said publicly what many politicians and anti-Obama zealots have said or are saying behind closed doors. I can't shake the feeling that lots of powerful (white) men resent having to defer to the nation's (black) leader.

Despite public criticism of Wilson, I'm sure there was some fist-pumping around the country among those whose intention is make sure that Obama is a one-term president.









2 comments:

mrsvmg said...

Patrick Swazye died yesterday and my first thought was, "it's about time." You see, I lost my mom to the same type of cancer. After diagnosis, I only had 1 month to spend with my her and Patrick's wife had 2 years. Then another thought came to mind. It was my mother's wonderful voice saying I need to recognize jealousy when you see it. I had 57 years with her. Patrick wasn't even that old! Jealousy is a mean, nasty thing and needs to be contained.

So there. We Americans who heard or saw his (Wilson) outburst, need to see where he's coming from. Jealousy. He didn't come from a place that meant after reviewing this bill, Obama was not telling us the truth. In the back of his mind, he came from "how dare he be President? How can he (Obama) be black, intelligent, seemingly have a happy family and not stoop to my level by responding with a shouting match." "No one asked me if I'd consider the Presidency. Aren't I an intelligent person capable of this job too?" Well, Mr. Wilson, Noooooo.

Did you notice the Speaker's face of shock and wonder during your outburst? Did you notice how those who disagreed with the President did not stand up or clap with the group? Didn't that say mountains?

What poor Wilson does not know is that this will haunt him forever and be a chain around his neck. This was worse than Phelps being caught with pot. Does Wilson think this will be forgotten? Who does he think he is, a Kennedy?

Unknown said...

I was so disgusted by some of the footage from that speech especially one jerk who was on his Blackberry.....Are you kidding me?!....Take note of how upset everyone is with Kanye West outburst at an Awards show vs Mr.Wilson's outburst towards the leader of the free world...hmmmmm interesting.