Wednesday, November 11, 2009

An Orwellian Moment

This is not the blog I had intended to write.

However, an unnerving experience yesterday demonstrated the extent of personal information about me that a company I've never done business with has at its disposal.

I discovered this when I made a payment to Boost Mobile for my granddaughter. After confirming my home address and zip code, the rep says, "To ensure that you are who you say you are, I'd like to ask you two additional questions."

I provided the last four digits of my social security number. After a brief wait (while he retrieved data), he asked, "What is Baychester?"

I was taken aback. I had lived on Baychester Avenue more than 25 years ago! Next, he requested my birth month; I told him and finalized the transaction.

Afterwards, I wondered. Where the hell did he get that old information? I don't even think it's my credit report.

How many other corporations have access to my personal information? How easy might it be for employees of companies to use this information for identity theft or fraud?

This incident reminded me of a similar one several years ago. I was changing my telephone service, but wanted to keep old number. Before I could give the customer rep (for the new service) my phone number, she said, "Oh we have it listed here. We'll contact your old provider about the transfer of service." She knew my former company without me telling her.

Once when talking to an IRS agent on my cell phone, he cautioned me about proceeding because someone could tap into the signal and "capture" my personal data. I switched to a land line.

Another cause for concern: the Patriot Act allows the government to keep track of the books we borrow as well as monitor our e-mails.

Likewise, the federal government is considering a national identity card that would contain our pertinent information--social security number, DOB, address, height, weight etc. on it.

Needless to say, privacy is dead.

Mr. Orwell had it right. Big Brother (read: government and corporations) is watching us. And there's not much we can do about it.

Identity theft isn't the only threat we face; identity sharing is equally as frightening.

No comments: