Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pet Peeves #1

My family frequently teases me about my pet peeves; they number in the hundreds! They joke that one day I'll have enough to fill a book. So, in an effort, to "go green," I will blog them instead. Please feel free to add your own.

Muscle-thick guys or waist-thin gals who strut around the gym, sipping from water bottles, trying to look nonchalant, but hoping everyone is noticing their glorious abs or pecs.

TV commercials for health clubs or fitness products that feature models who bear no resemblance to the people--of all sizes--that they are targeting.

Folks--Wal-Mart greeters, supermarket clerks, receptionists, waitresses--who drop their cheery smiles when dealing with a black person.

Websites that require tones of personal info or want you to sign up for promos from advertisers before you can get that "free" gift card, laptop, or dinner for two.

Doctors who are never around to discuss the status of or answer questions about a hospitalized relative or spouse AND nurses who resent you for asking questions that they cannot answer.

Men who ask, "Why doesn't a pretty woman like you have a man?" Implicaton: I have an answer to that question OR that something must be wrong with me. Boring.

Public schools with metal detectors.

Reality shows with people/celebrities who I could care less about. My definition of reality: What actually happens when you had expected something else (good or better) to happen. Get quite enough of that in my own life, thank you.

Adults who are outraged when a kid's pants are sagging down over his butt; but, they are speechless on issues such as high dropout rates, drastic cuts in financial aid for college-bound youth, a much-reduced, federally-funded summer jobs programs for unemployed youth, or countless other Really Important matters affecting young Americans.

Network or cable TV shows that never feature an African American, Asian, Hispanic, or "others" in lead roles. (Supporting roles don't count.)

Well, that's enough for now.

Wow. It's really liberating to get these peeves off my chest, er breasts. Until next time... 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LMAO!!!! One of my pet peeves is when people are not straight forward with me. That drives me up the wall I wish more people would say what they mean and mean what they say.

Don said...

All great pet peeves. I think my pet peeve is when someone preaches the Bible to me, but never seem to take them all advice.

I hate when that happens.