Monday, April 13, 2009

Working the Muse: Plots and Plans

I love writing!

Even when working as an editor for various magazines or newspapers, my passion was for reporting/writing.

Presently, I have three books, at various stages, ready to be born. The first is a memoir about the relationship between me and my son--who died in prison--during his 19 years of incarceration. It's six chapters from completion. (I'm seeking an agent or publisher.)

The second is a docu-novel based on the life of Dr. J. Marion Sims, a 19th century surgeon, who performed experimental surgery on several slave women to perfect a surgical procedure for a condition called vesico-vaginal fistula. I have read his memoir and researched the medical procedure he describes.

The third book is a medical thriller, set in a major urban hospital, where doctors are testing an experimental drug on un-informed low-income women who are patients at its clinic.

My forthcoming children's book is tentatively titled, Mali Starr, Big City Dog.

My publishing plans include a booklet, 30 Days of Minute Meditations and revising and updating a reference for adult education instructors, Teaching Health and Wellness in the ABE/ESL Classroom, A Guide for Teachers.

Although, I enjoy my day gig as an adult educator, it doesn't provide the satisfaction and excitement of writing. So, stay tuned as I pursue my various ventures and provide updates on my writing/publishing accomplishments.

Stay focused!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cool title for this piece me likey :)

I didn't know you wrote for B.E. that's one of my favorite magazines.....All of your books sound like good reads.I can't wait to read the medical thriller it sounds very interesting.