Friday, April 17, 2009

First Annual Awesome Women Awards (AWA)

Welcome to the First Annual Awesome Women Awards (AWA), honoring Everyday Women, who pursue their dreams and passions with courage and dedication despite family obligations, personal challenges, and limited or no capital.These women "make a way out of no way" for themselves and their families.

Their talents range from writing to animal training. Most, but not all, are in their twenties.You might not see them on Oprah, CNN, Tyra, or Inside Edition (yet). Nonetheless, every day they make a difference in the lives of those around them. Here are this year's honorees:

Sgt. Evelyn Pollard, (U.S. Army, Iraq) wife, mother, soldier, Combat Life Saver instructor, writer, and avid reader

Dionna Phillips (Yonkers, NY) wife, mother of three, foster mother of one, entrepreneur, and founder of "Special Moments," (a non-profit organization that promotes events for mothers and their children), dreamer, and creative force

Erica Moyler (NYC) mother, fashion designer co-partner in Fabric Twins, (who create and wear different designs made from the same fabric) singer, entrepreneur, and visionary

Amour Staggers (NYC) actress, film buff, aspiring playwright, raconteur and adventurer (www.bougiebohemian.blogspot.com)

Erika Washington, (Las Vegas) wife, mother, writer, knitter, and "blogger extraordinaire"(www.erikawashington.blogspot.com)

Cathe B. Jones (Las Vegas) writer, artist, comedian, graphic novelist, musician, animal trainer, founder of Las Vegas Quill Keepers (a support and resource group for women writers) and a powerhouse of information on using technology and social networking to promote one's writings, ventures, or ideas.(www.cathejones.com)

Diahann Moyler (NYC) mother of four, grandmother of three, dedicated occupational therapy practitioner, aspiring author, event planner par excellence, and lover of life

Denise Moyler (NYC), mother of seven, grandmother of three, beloved sister and daughter, fun-lover, and future college grad

T. Rose Smith (NYC) founder and executive director of The Development and Finishing Institute (that teaches manners and etiquette to girls and young women of color), publisher, entrepreneur, writer, and world traveler (www.thedfinstitute.com)

If you know an Awesome Woman, leave a brief comment about her.

Stay focused.

AWESOME WOMEN POSTS BY "WRITTEN WORD" VISITORS:

Natasha Jarvis (NYC) friend, mother, entrepreneur, aspiring designer, and fierce business woman. (posted by Miss Amour)

Trinessa Brown (Yonkers, NY) intelligent, phenomenal friend, and hardworking mother of three. (posted by Sassy)

Bernice Sandoval (NYC) wife, mother of four, stepmother of one, student, entrepreneur, owner of Wynn Optics in Harlem, NY (posted by peadiva@aim)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for including me with these awesome women some who I know personally.This means so much to me and gives me that extra push.I would like to include some more to that list Natasha Jarvis who is a friend of mine she's an awesome woman,mother,entrepenuer,aspiring designer and a fierce business woman.

P.S.I wouldn't be an awesome woman if it weren't for you :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me in this list of strong woman. This means a lot to me. My hard work and dedication will eventually pay off.
You and my mother have played a huge role in the woman that I have become.

I want to let other woman out there that may read this to know that they may sometimes be faced with obstacles, but do not give up on your dreams or goals. Sometimes it is the obstacles that make you stronger and more focused. I have learned this hands on. No matter what I am faced with in life, I do not let it hold me back and I definetly don't give up. I just know that I have to work a little harder.

I would like to add Trinessa Brown to the list. She ia a mother of 3, intelligent, a hard worker and phenomenal friend.

Eve said...

Thanks Grandma! I know these awesome women and they inspire me to work hard, play hard, and to keep on doing the best I can. I know that with out some of these awesome women there would be no awesome me! I am thankful for all of the love and support that i have in my life and would not change a thing! To all the awesome women in the world thank you! :-)