Monday, July 13, 2009

Random Ramblings

Social Networks: All-a-Twitter

I blog (intermittently). I tweet (occasionally). I have a (neglected) MySpace page. I belong to Hoverspot.com. I'm a "Writer's Block" member at Essence.com.

This week, a fellow writer referred me to shewrites.com, a social networking site for women writers.

At a recent meeting of our women writers group, two--younger--members promoted social networking for sharing resources, interacting with others who have similar interests or needs, posting and promoting one's work, locating professional and personal sources of information.

I get that. But, I'll be darned if I can figure out how to use links, feeds, tweets to my advantage. Equally frustrating is the time it takes to teach myself.

Depending on skill, I understand that one can have followings of tens or thousands. (I heard that Oprah has 30 million followers on Twitter.)

I'm reading What Would Google Do? by Jeff Jarvis, who, according to the book jacket, "writes the Web's most popular and respected blogs about the internet and media." Check out Buzzmachine.com. Jarvis explains the relevance of linking and how it has changed how we receive and disseminate information, news, and ideas.

Are you struggling in the Brave New World of social networking? If so, drop a tweet to ChatChik at Twitter.com. 

Or, leave a comment here about your success, or lack thereof, with social networks.

4 comments:

Jo said...

I'm leaving you a comment in your own corner of social networking. :) Don't be frustrated. I'd be more than happy to spend a few hours with you showing you the ropes. Social networking will help you get ahead ... but it's also fun! Just drop me an email!

Cheers,
JoAnna

Rekaya Gibson said...

I love social networks, but I'm not a Twitter yet. I don't have unlimited texting. Anyway, I market my book on social networks and I have sold some. I have connected with folks that I would not normally meet and old high school friends. I have met some of these people in person and developed great partnerships.
Don't get frustrated; it takes time. Don't try to do them all. Get good at your favorite ones. After all, I learned about your blog on Facebook.

Rekaya Gibson, Author
The Food Temptress
www.foodtemptress.com

MysticDiva1 said...

I use Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin. I've joined several writing groups on Linkedin since writing is my passion. Some people join for possible job referrals, etc. I did not join for that reason and besides, I retired July 31. I use Facebook for fun and to keep up with family and friends. I have a MySpace account but will probably close it because I don't use it. I use Twitter because it helps me be concise since it is only 140 characters. I met the author of Twitter Power last year. I intend to use all of them to promote my new retirement ventures: ReRum Cakes, NY (and other cities) on the Flip Side, Nuggets in the Hood which will be a staycation-vacation blog and book, my other blogs and a few other ideas.
http://mysticdiva1-lifetips.blogspot.com and
http://somebodyliedtome.blogspot.com

1Purpose said...

On my Twitter page, I wrote that I was checking out a friend's blog and listed your blog.